Thursday 19 June 2014

Ligularia Dentata and Sizergh Castle

“What on earth is Ligularia Dentata?”  You might well ask.

IMG_4572b

Well, this is what Ligularia Dentata is and William and I took a fancy to it when we were at Beetham’s Garden Centre at the weekend. 

IMG_4571b

And if it does what it says on the label we’ll be very happy, thank you!

IMG_4567b

We also took a fancy to one of these whose name escapes me at the moment.

IMG_4562_edited-1b

Here’s a close up look at that one.  Isn’t that dramatic?  I think it’s beautiful!  I just hope both these plants like living with us and last this summer at least for us.

IMG_4568b

We always enjoy a look round Beetham’s.  It is such a well maintained and nicely laid out nursery.  A simple pleasure for sure.

 

DSC_4166b

Saturday afternoon we visited my sweet friend Sandra and her husband Dave in their gorgeous little cottage.  Sandra mentioned that she would be holding a stand at a local antiques fair the following day and so Sunday morning William and I found our way there.  The venue, only a short drive away, was The Heaves Hotel.

DSC_4165

This is Sandra’s stall.  Full of china and glassware.  The kind of stuff I’m always attracted to. 

IMG_4554

In fact I purchased a little Coalport figurine from Sandra and I love it.  I took these pictures with my iPhone and they don’t really do her justice.  Take my word for it though, she is very pretty!

DSC_4160b

Naturally we wandered through the hotel and looked at all the other vendor’s wares.  There seemed to be a lot of lovely stuff for sale.

DSC_4161b

The hotel itself seemed a trifle rundown, but attractively so.  One of the vendors described it as being “faded grandeur”.  I like that, it sounds a lot better than rundown don’t you think?

DSC_4190b

From the antiques fair we drove just round the corner to Sizergh Castle, a National Trust property and well worth a visit.

 

DSC_4176

There’s a rather nice cafe and picnic area. 

IMG_4525b

Always a bonus in my book.

DSC_4179b

Needless to say we’ll be going back on a sunny afternoon one day soon to check out one or two of the short walks signposted from the car park.

DSC_4185b

A sheep-at-rest-in-a-field photo for good measure.

IMG_4502_edited-1b

And our accommodation when we’re at Bay View. 

Counting my blessings,

BlogSignature

3 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

So much history and so much to see and do around where you are. There's something to be said for gray skies and rain. Sure makes everything green and lovely. Best wishes, Tammy

Anita Johnson said...

I just love where you live AND I have both of the flowers you bought in my garden too! The Ligularia is a nice color change in the garden. I wish we could spend a day together!

Caroline said...

I'm so happy dad has finally retired xx